Monday, August 18, 2008

The excitement builds

The days are just flying by and the excitement and anticipation is mounting. We are just 53 days from leaving LAX for Malawi. It is happening too fast. There are too many things that still need to get done, and each day that goes by without doing anything toward the trip means less time to get it done. We have lessons to prepare, verses to memorize, vaccinations and medicines to get for things like hepatitis and malaria. We still need to come up with a list of essential things to bring. We need to get study materials to give to the seminary students to aid their studies, and try to stuff them in our luggage.

Thankfully, Christian Bettenhausen has been such a great servant to us as unto the Lord! If it weren't for him, I do not know if we would be making this trip. He has been personally involved in every aspect of the travel arrangements. These include the plane tickets, our accommodations when we are not with Brasswell, and even our van rental. Thank you so much, Christian. You may not be going, but the Lord will remember on that day your servant love for your brothers.

I was very encouraged by a message I received from Brasswell early this morning. I had recently contacted him by e-mail and this was his first response to me. I am so excited to meet this man who desires to have God use him to reach his people. Let me leave you today with the note he sent me.


Dear brother Ric,

It's a privilege to be part of the team God uses to spread the Good news of our Saviour Jesus. For me I did not dream about becoming the person God will use for his own purposes. I was busy shepherding my Father"s cattle where He picked me. Your coming to Malawi will be a great blessing to the body of Christ. The Church in Mzuzu & Rumphi is too excited for your visit. Come and see for yourself. Malawians are peace loving people. If the days were to be pulled we would have pulled them to come near. In Mzuzu you will be accommodated in our home. Are you ready to eat Malawian foods such as Nsima? [made from corn]. I hope you are. I am so happy to meet you face to face in Jo-burg South Africa.

Greet your entire family & the Body of Christ there.

Brasswell Nkhonjera

1 comment:

unworthy slave said...

I was recently reminded when I was watching the video once again of the Malawi 2006 trip of the wide range of emotions that I went through on that trip, from the highs of finally meeting Braswell face to face to the lows of walking the aisles of Kenyan airways for 3 hours because I could not sit down any longer, from the hightened awareness of the lostness of souls as I watched visitors in the airport in Naroibi walk by me, returning home from their pilgrimmages, to the feeling of utter exhaustion upon finally arriving in Polokwane after an 8 hour delay in leaving Malawi due to gas leaking from the engine (Thanks, Christian!!!) and getting 3 hours later to share with the men in South Africa.

But this is a new day in the life of our body. That day, it was just me, one men among 3, sharing out of a heart loving where God had placed him. Now, it is as a dad shepherding his son in the greater cause of Christ in the area of world missions. And not just one of our youth is going along, but two! I remember the day I first Brian's heart to see the lands of Malawi and to visit the training center in South Africa. Incredibly, he is less than 2 months away from realizing his dream. I'm so excited for Brian!

I want to again thank the body of Christ at Coast. Your support of this endeavor, of Malawi and South Africa, of Coast missiosn and especially in your outpouring of love and support behind these 2 young men. You, Coast, have been an such an encouragement to them in your words of hope, your prayers and your gifts, and not only to them but to us. Ric, Dan & I thank you for all that has transpired to date, and humbly request your continued prayers for us, as was mentioned we have still much to accomplish in our preparations, both for the trip and in our preparations for our families who are remaining behind. Thank you for your encouragement and support for our wives and children. This really is a "Coast" misisons trip to the Warm Heart of Africa!

Serving together for the sake of The Name.